Pageviews from the past week

Monday 11 July 2011

Discipline

Over the last few days I have been thinking about my running, health, fitness, body, ageing etc All the things that a man approaching 40 years of age probably thinks a bit about anyways, provided they’re interested in running of course.

Slowly my mind is formulating short, medium and long term plans for all these facets and I will be talking about these a lot in future posts. Here are the types of things floating through my mind at the moment and apologies if what you are about to read resembles a stream-of-conscience spew onto a page.



Running



Hopefully this is slowly taking care of itself and as I have stated before, I need to be patient and listen to my body. Doing this has produced two great runs in the last week. I will not try to stick to any rigid training program for now but simply aim to run 4 times a week for a minimum of 30 minutes each time. I will run less than this if my body dictates I must. The hard part here is getting deceived by my conscious mind telling me I can do something and not listening to the counter-argument from my sub-conscious. This is one event I’d like to participate in long term and there has already been some interest amongst work colleagues in putting a team together. My discipline here is to let things happen when they need to.



Health



This relates a lot to my diet and consequently my weight I think my ideal weight for doing the type of running that I really want to do is something between 75 and 80 kg. Currently I weigh in at 93 kg and I have a real battle with refined carbs-sugar-chocolate-ice cream that I need to get on top of. The way I am thinking of approaching this is to make small changes on a weekly basis and hopefully in the long term I’ll find myself on a diet that keeps me healthy, sustains my performance and brings me to my best running weight. My discipline will be simply to make the best choices about what to put in my mouth and decide whether I really need to eat as much as I think I do.



Fitness



My discipline here is to take full advantage of the gym membership I have and train my body to be strong and supplement/compliment my running. I need to try and do this a minimum of twice a week at best 3-4. If I do this the body will take care of itself and then…



Ageing



For the last 10 years I have been trying to convince myself that I was looking forward to getting older. Maybe because I was convinced by then I would be in the best shape of my life. Now that I am 39, I simply am not and am possibly in the worse shape of my life. This is my real spur to turn things around and my recent niggles and injuries have only reinforced this. My ultimate goal is to be in the best shape of my life in my fifties and sixties. My discipline is simply to do all the right things to make this happen. Simple right?

No comments:

Post a Comment